What is Medical Interpreter Training?
Medical interpreters need much more than conversational fluency in a second language to meet the needs of patients with limited proficiency in English.
Massachusetts Medical Interpreter Training, a UMass Chan Medical School program, provides bilingual and multilingual individuals with the essential skills required to interpret effectively in health care settings:
- Fluency in medical terminology
- Awareness of and sensitivity to cultural differences
- Competency in specialized medical settings like emergency rooms and mental health clinics
Our programs, taught by highly qualified instructors, offer instruction appropriate for a wide variety of participants, from those just entering the profession to experienced interpreters:
- Fundamentals of Medical Interpreting Training Schedule
- 60-hour Fundamental Medical Interpreting Course
- Customized Medical Interpreter Training at worksites
- Continuing Education Seminars
- Train-the-Trainer Programs
- Conferences for Medical Interpreters and those interested in improving health care access for those with limited English-language skills (Paving the Way to Health Care Access)
Massachusetts Medical Interpreter Training, a program of the MassAHEC Network at UMass Chan Medical School, has a dual purpose. In addition to helping health care institutions ensure clearer communication between staff and patients with limited English-language skills, we offer career advancement opportunities for people with multilingual skills.
We weave cultural awareness and sensitivity training into all of our medical interpreter programs. Massachusetts Medical Interpreter Training also offers cultural awareness consulting and training for health care organizations. Evaluating employee awareness of and sensitivity to patients’ cultural and linguistic needs is the first step to ensuring accurate, positive communication experiences.
Receive current news from the UMass Medical Interpreting Training program directly to you inbox. Hear about upcoming workshops, 60-hr fundamental classes, our yearly Paving the Way conference and more.
Click here to join our email list.
2024 Paving the Way to Health Care Access Conference
** Two Day In Person Event **
UMass Boston, 100 Morrissey Blvd, Boston, MA
Friday, May 31, 2024 &
Saturday, June 1, 2024
Check out our NEW Facebook page!
More information to this year's conference coming soon!
Medical Interpreter and Trainer
Need a new training tool?
We can develop customized medical interpreter programs that also address cultural competency.